New York Porch Collapse Lawyers
Each year innocent people sustain life-altering injuries in porch collapse incidents. Especially in densely populated areas like New York City, poorly maintained structures put a large swath of people at risk. In the most serious cases, New Yorkers have lost their lives as a result of porch collapses. These devastating incidents leave surviving loved ones to deal with the emotional and financial fallout. If you have been injured because of a porch collapse, you don’t need to face your situation alone. The team at Hach & Rose, LLP is ready to hear your story.
Our lawyers have been fighting for New York injury victims for years. When your family entrusts us with your case, we want you to know that we will always fight for your best interests. We understand how much an injury can complicate your quality of life, financial security, and future plans. For this reason, we strive to recover the compensation you deserve so that you can focus on your recovery and move on with your life.
If you or a loved one are ever injured in a serious accident, you have the right to hold the at-fault party responsible for your pain, suffering, and injury-related expenses. To learn how the attorneys at Hach & Rose, LLP will fight for you, call us at (212) 779-0057 today.
Why do I need an attorney?
Despite how clear-cut your case may seem, hiring an attorney is the best way to reach a positive, expedient legal outcome. When you’re hurt, your attorney will consider all possible causes, liable parties, and legal options available to you. As a client, your job is to supply us with relevant information so that we can undertake the investigative research needed to fight for your rights. After a harrowing accident, you need time to heal, while we take on the hard work of winning your case.
If the porch was overcrowded at the time of the accident, an attorney will investigate to find out if there were other causes also involved, such as rotted materials or failure to adhere to city codes. A personal injury attorney will help you understand when the property manager violated any building codes or failed to inspect the property. Your injury lawyer will uncover critical information regarding insurance coverage for your case.
An attorney can determine which parties are liable and walk you through your legal options after you or a loved one has been injured in a porch accident. Securing an attorney will help you pinpoint who is to blame for your injuries and obtain the maximum possible compensation for your case. Typically, an apartment leasing company or owner will have an insurance policy that allows a certain amount of money to be divided among each injured individual. This practice can be tricky to navigate if you are vying for adequate compensation among a larger group of injury victims.
Why choose Hach and Rose?
At Hach & Rose, LLP, we understand the obstacles New Yorkers face when suffering from a porch collapse injury. Fortunately, many injured victims can take legal action against the irresponsible property owner who recklessly allowed the porch collapse to happen, helping victims to get the compensation and justice they need to recover.
Our large legal staff has the resources you need to fight against a large corporation or a city who does not want to pay out the compensation you need to heal. We have more than 100 years of combined legal experience that we put to work researching all aspects of your case.
Our firm offers services based on a firm foundation of compassion, empathy, and honesty. We value our relationships with clients as a way to give back to members of the community when they need it most. We understand that the days, weeks, and years following an accident can be the most trying time in a person or a family’s lives, and want to remove, rather than add stress to these situations. That’s why all of our personal injury advocate services are offered on a completely free basis until we win you the compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses so that you can focus on healing while we focus on winning.
Causes of Porch Collapse Injuries
A property owner who has a porch on their property needs to take care of this part of their premises by engaging in regularly scheduled maintenance and inspections, as well as addressing any immediate safety concerns that may arise. The following issues may occur because of a lack of proper maintenance or repairs, causing serious injuries for those involved:
- Railing collapses
- Structural disintegration due to rotten wood
- Structural disintegration due to rusted metal
- Broken or loose connectors
In addition to problems caused by a lack of proper maintenance, property owners have a responsibility to draft policies that protect those using a porch. This means recognizing a porch’s weight limit and capacity, and strictly enforcing those limits when necessary.
Porch Collapse Cases We Handle
Since porch collapse incidents often cause victims to fall from great heights or even be crushed or trapped under heavy materials, the resulting injuries can be life-altering. One of the most publicized porch collapse accidents took place in Chicago in the summer of 2003, where 13 people were killed when an apartment porch gave way. Close to 60 other people sustained injuries from that event. This incident left victims with serious pain, emotional trauma, and medical expenses. The property manager faced legal action as a result of their failure to properly maintain their property. This incident highlights the importance of adhering to building codes and performing regular inspections. While safety regulations may seem like mere bureaucracy to some property managers, the truth is, safety inspections are a matter of life and death.
Porch collapse accidents can occur for the following reasons:
- Overcrowding – This is the primary cause of a porch collapse. Porches are built with very specific mandates pertaining to the number of individuals and maximum weight limitations. Though it may seem harmless to have one or two extra adults on a porch, when coupled with rotting wood, compromised structural integrity, foundation issues, or other issues, extra weight can cause significant problems. Overloading can also be caused by excessive furniture or devices like air compressors, pools, or refrigerators on porches. Appropriate signage must be posted to ensure that porch-goers understand the maximum weight and person limits of any built structure.
- Rotting wood or old materials – Old or poorly built porches can collapse due to rotting wood or damaged material. Before any porch is built, construction plans must be submitted and then followed closely. Materials used in the implementation of these plans must be conducive to the safety of any person who uses a porch. Porches should be inspected by owners to ensure that wood has not rotted, or nails or other devices have not become rusty and unsafe due to years of weathering.
- Foundation issues – Before building a porch, architects and engineers must ensure that the soil subsidence below any porch meets the basic foundational needs. If the soil subsidence changes or if the foundation isn’t compliant with regulations, the porch may shift or break when loaded.
- Lack of construction code compliance – New York has very specific laws pertaining to porch building. Only licensed engineers and architects can construct porches, and they must adhere to basic building laws when doing so. When design takes precedence over safety or when professionals fail to follow through on basic guidelines, porches can be unfit for use. Furthermore, some porches are old and may comply with older building codes but not with updated requirements. Owners have an obligation to update their edifices to comply with the newest codes and make a porch as safe as possible to prevent collapse.
From guests and residents to employees, any unsuspecting party could be seriously injured. No matter what caused your injuries, our team is ready to hear your story and help you pursue all possible legal options.
Contact a Porch Collapse Attorney in New York
If you or someone you love has been injured in a porch collapse accident due to the negligence of the property owner, a porch collapse attorney from Hach & Rose, LLP, may be able to help you pursue compensation. Our lawyers believe that you shouldn’t have to bear the burden of medical bills, lost wages, out-of-pocket costs, and other expenses on your own in such a situation, and will help you fight for the recompense you need. Learn more about how we can work with you by calling (212) 779-0057.