New York Drunk Driving Lawyers
Truck drivers are held to the same, if not even more rigid, safety expectations as other motorists on the road in regards to substance use. If these truck drivers choose to get behind the wheel while intoxicated, regardless of the reason, they may seriously endanger themselves and anyone else on the road with them. Unfortunately, accidents involving an 18-wheeler and another vehicle in traffic can prove devastating, often leaving the other motorist with severe injuries that may require immediate medical care.
If you or someone you love has sustained an injury in a drunk driving accident with a truck driver, the driver who made such a reckless decision should be held liable for the repercussions of that decision. For more information about the legal process involved in filing such a claim, contact a New York drunk driving attorney of Hach & Rose, LLP, today by calling (212) 779-0057.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer?
A personal injury lawyer can often make the difference in a personal injury case. They will be able to help you understand your legal options and fight to win the compensation that you need in order to pay for medical bills, recover lost wages, and support your family through this difficult time. You should never have to go it alone – having a New York drunk driving lawyer on your side means that you can go up against the insurance companies with confidence and achieve a fair settlement.
When truck drivers drive drunk, their employers will often get involved. This means that you will be facing up against aggressive corporate lawyers and insurance agents who understand the common defenses to drunk driving. This will make your claim much harder to win. Hiring your own lawyer will help even the playing field, giving you a better chance of recovering compensation. An experienced drunk driving lawyer will know what evidence to gather, what arguments to make, and how to negotiate with insurance and other lawyers to get you the settlement you deserve.
With these factors in mind, hiring an attorney if you or a loved one was injured in a drunk driving accident at the hands of a truck driver is an important step in getting the compensation you need and bringing justice to those who are irresponsible in their actions as professional drivers.
Why Choose Hach & Rose, LLP?
Hach & Rose, LLP brings together the talents of two leading New York personal injury lawyers, Attorneys Michael Rose and Gregory Hach. Attorneys Hach and Rose are backed by a legal team that puts you in the hands of some of the most committed, experienced legal professionals in New York. Given this dedication, experience, and shared mission, we promise to take the time to understand your case and needs, clearly communicate your legal options, and work with you to win the compensation you need to recover.
Attorney Michael Rose comes from a background of representing personal injury victims. He has been rated as one of the top lawyers in the New York area by New York Magazine, emerging as a leader in an often crowded and competitive New York area legal landscape. A member of the Million Dollar and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Mr. Rose has repeatedly delivered results for his clients. Attorney Gregory Hach has been an active member of New York’s labor movement for most of his life. An experienced attorney in representing workers and their interests, Gregory Hach brings a unique perspective to personal injury law that can prove to be a valuable legal perspective in a drunk driving or other personal injury case.
Since partnering one decade ago to form Hach & Rose, LLP, Attorneys Michael Rose and Gregory Hach have won nearly $150 million in jury verdicts settlements for clients. Having personal injury lawyers on your side that have reputation and results can give you the edge in a drunk driving case and peace of mind that your case is being handled by the best.
Intoxicated Driving Hazards
A truck driver who causes an accident because of their intoxicated driving may be held responsible for the cost of whatever injuries result from the collision. In particular, the following incidents may primarily place the blame on the truck driver:
- Driving while intoxicated: While drunk driving is generally a very reckless action, driving drunk while operating a truck or other commercial vehicle cam very easily turn deadly. Laws hold truck drivers to a higher standard for driving while intoxicated, including having a lower limit for BAC for truck drivers.
- Driving under the influence of drugs: Similar to driving while drunk, driving under the influence of marijuana, hard drugs, or the even prescription medication can lead to deadly accidents. Truck drivers who rely on drugs to do their job pose a threat to others on the road.
Choosing to operate an 18-wheeler in either of these situations can cause innocent drivers substantial suffering and harm. As such, the responsible driver should be held accountable for their careless choices. Often, however, a truck driver may seek elaborate defenses to try to wriggle their way out of a drunk driving charge. You will need an experienced New York drunk driving attorney on your side. From our perspective, we need to prove that the driver was at fault in the accident. Here is how we prove fault:
- We must show that the truck driver has a ‘duty of care’ to other drivers on the road. This means that it is the truck driver’s duty to avoid causing harm to others while on the road. They must also operate the vehicle within the boundaries of how a reasonable person would operate a truck. If a person is driving drunk, they are not operating the vehicle in a reasonable manner.
- We need to prove that the truck driver has breached this ‘duty of care.’ In other words, they failed to act as a reasonable person would. Proving that the other driver was intoxicated will prove that they breached their duty of care.
- We must show causation. This means we must prove that the driver’s intoxication directly caused your injuries. Evidence from the accident, such as photo or video evidence, black box data, witness testimony, or accident reconstruction can prove this.
- Finally, we must establish that your injuries caused you significant damages. You can prove this using medical records, billing statements, and other evidence that shows the financial, physical, and emotional impact of the accident.
The attorneys of Hach & Rose, LLP have experience with drunk driving cases, and are prepared to help you prove your case and win compensation. After assessing your case and legal options, we will work with you to build a case that will get you the compensation that you need to recover.
Being injured in an accident can be devastating. You have suffered injuries as a result of someone else’s carelessness, and have to deal with the health and financial consequences. The New York truck accident lawyers of Hach & Rose, LLP have the know-how and experience to help you win the compensation that you need to recover from your injuries, pay for your medical bills, and make up for missed wages. The statute of limitations for personal injury cases in New York is three years, so it is in your best interest to contact an attorney as soon as possible to assess your legal options.
If a truck driver’s use of alcohol or drugs has left you or someone you love with severe injuries, we may be able to help you obtain compensation for the undue losses you may have sustained. For a free consultation regarding your rights and options after an injury, contact the New York drunk driving lawyers of Hach & Rose, LLP, at (212) 779-0057 today.