Determining Liability in Truck Accidents
Truck accidents can result from a number of issues, from driver error to unsafe scheduling by a trucking company. Because it is sometimes unclear as to who is liable for a trucking incident, victims of truck accidents should discuss their cases with a knowledgeable attorney who can gather the evidence and expert testimony necessary to prove fault. This enables those injured in truck accidents to secure the full amount of compensation they are due, especially if multiple parties contributed to the incident.
Who Is At Fault for a Truck Accident?
Determining fault in a truck accident may not be as simple as it first seems. Although truck drivers are accountable for controlling their vehicles, they may not be solely or even partially to blame for any mishaps. The following general rules illustrate how complicated the process of determining fault for a truck accident can be:
- Truck drivers are often at fault if their own error caused the accident
- Drunk driving accidents are considered the truck driver’s fault
- Accidents involving overworked drivers may be the fault of the trucking company
- Accidents caused by drivers who have a history of dangerous driving or a lack of training may be the fault of the trucking company
- Accidents caused by unexpected mechanical malfunctions are typically the fault of the manufacturer
- Accidents caused by reasonably expectable mechanical failures may be the fault of the trucking company
- Collisions caused by unsafe road conditions are often the fault of a government transportation agency in charge of maintaining the road
As naming a defendant in your truck accident suit be a confusing process, it’s important for you to turn a lawyer you can trust to fully investigate your case and the probable cause of the accident.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a truck accident, you may have the legal option to seek financial compensation to cover medical bills, out-of-pocket costs, and even lost wages. To learn more about how we can help you navigate the oftentimes confusing process of filing a compensation claim, contact the truck accident lawyers of Hach & Rose, LLP, today by calling (212) 779-0057.