Over $500 Million Recovered

Free Confidential Case Review, No Fees Unless We Recover For You

(212) 779-0057
What Documents Do I Need for My Personal Injury Case?

If you've been injured in an accident or on the job, the attorneys of Hach & Rose, LLP have the knowledge, skills, and experience required to hold the party responsible for your injury accountable.

Last Updated: 03-20-2023
Last Updated: 03-20-2023
Written by: Michael A. Rose and Gregory Hach

What Documents Do I Need for My Personal Injury Case?

Posted on Sunday, May 1st, 2022 at 1:35 pm    

After an accident, you may be overwhelmed with paperwork. This can include documents such as medical bills, police reports, insurance claims, and other expenses that relate to the injury. Your personal injury attorney will need certain documentation to help prove your case.

The at-fault party’s insurance company will not pay a claim without evidence that backs up the nature of the accident, the injury, and the property damage that resulted from the accident. There are basic documents that are needed to help support your claim, whether it was an accident on the job, a motor vehicle accident, or a slip and fall.

It is important to note that the state of New York also has a statute of limitations. This law limits the time you have to file a personal injury lawsuit. In New York, that is three years from the date of the accident.

There is a lot to know and a lot to keep track of when you are preparing your personal injury case. Plan for success by consulting with an expert right away. Contact a New York City personal injury attorney at Hach & Rose to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.

Getting Organized After an Injury

expenses file folder

Clients come to Hach & Rose, LLP in varying stages of organization with their documentation. Whether you come with all your documents or just some, during your free consultation, we will review the facts of your case and let you know what else would be needed to help support your claim.

By using simple strategies to stay organized, you will have all the documents you need at your fingertips. Consider getting an expandable file folder to store your documents. Label each tab with the type of document, and you will have them accessible when you need them.

Documents You May Need to Support Your Claim

Not every case needs every document, and not all documents are listed here. This is a general list that may be required if you file a claim or a lawsuit after an accident. For example, after a worker’s compensation accident or slip and fall at a place of business, your attorney may ask for additional documents.

Your personal injury attorney will find it helpful to have a written paragraph of the basic information about the accident. This includes the:

  • Date
  • Place
  • Type of accident
  • Brief overview of your injuries
  • Names of the people involved
  • Names of the witnesses

Contact us today to discuss your case and find out exactly what kind of documentation you should be keeping track of. We’ve helped many individuals just like you secure the compensation they deserved following an accident or injury. Read their testimonials here.

Medical Diagnosis and Treatment Bills

It is vital that you keep every bill from every medical provider that you see. These bills should also be kept in date order. Depending on the severity of your injury, the bills and records can quickly expand.

Consider keeping a log sheet at the front of the folder so you can quickly access the record you’re looking for. This folder or section of your expandable file folder includes bills and records from therapists, physicians, hospitals, psychologists, ambulance services, and any other bill that relates to your physical or mental injury from the date of the accident to the present day.

You’ll also want to keep documents about any accident-related dental treatment, prescription medication, medical devices, or imaging studies. One form of compensation after an accident caused by someone else covers medical expenses. The amount you can expect is primarily based on the total medical bills related to the accident that you can document.

Lost Income and Wage Verification

Ask your employer for a letter documenting lost wages that were the result of your injury from the accident. Also, keep a copy of your pay stubs and any other verification of your inability to work, including medical records detailing why you cannot return to work after the injury. Copies of your W-2 forms or the last year’s taxes may help prove income loss.

Police Report and Witness Statements

police witness statementsPolice reports are public records. You can request a report online or by sending two copies of the form in a self-addressed stamped envelope from the New York Police Department or the New York State Police, whichever law enforcement agency attended your accident.

Law enforcement might not have attended to your accident if it was a slip and fall or an injury on the job. If you were injured at work, your employer might have gathered witness statements. If it was a car accident, the police might have gathered witness statements. It is important to gather these documents for your injury attorney.

Photographs or Video

If you took photographs or videos at the scene of the accident, it is important to give these to your attorney. Ask your attorney how they would like this data transferred to them. Photographs or videos can also be used as a visual representation of your injury and rehabilitation process.

Vehicle Service History

If you were in a car accident, it is helpful to have your vehicle’s service history. This demonstrates to the insurance company and the court how well you took care of your car and can help determine the amount of compensation you may be owed to repair the vehicle.


After an accident, it is helpful to keep a daily journal of what you experienced about your physical and mental health as they relate to your daily activities, phone calls you received that pertain to the accident, documents that you received, and any contact you have with any professional that pertains to your accident or your injury.

Contact the Experienced Personal Injury Legal Team of Hach & Rose, LLP

If you were injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligent actions, you could be entitled to compensation. The experienced and skilled New York City personal injury attorneys of Hach & Rose, LLP are committed to fighting to protect your rights and will work to get you fair compensation for your injuries. Call our office today at (212) 779-0057 or contact us online to schedule your free consultation and case review.

Our Office:

Hach & Rose, LLP, 112 Madison Ave,

10th Floor, New York, NY 10016

Conversion Pixel