tag tag 9177935658

Over One Billion Recovered

Free Confidential Case Review, No Fees Unless We Recover For You

(212) 779-0057

Who Will Pay for my Medical Bills when I am Injured in a Car Accident?

If you've been injured in an accident or on the job, the attorneys of Hach & Rose, LLP have the knowledge, skills, and experience required to hold the party responsible for your injury accountable.

Last Updated: 01-31-2024

By: Halina Radchenko

My clients often tell me that they felt pain at the scene of a motor vehicle accident. But they were afraid to request medical treatment because they did not have medical insurance. And they were afraid that they would be personally responsible for the medical bills. You are likely entitled to no-fault benefits if you were injured in the State of New York due to a motor vehicle accident. No-fault benefits can pay for the costs associated with medical treatment, time lost from work, and out-of-pocket expenses you may have due to a motor vehicle accident. Thanks to no-fault insurance, you don’t have to worry about who will pay for my medical bills if I am injured in a car accident.

Benefit Amount of No-Fault Insurance

No-Fault provides all passengers, certain drivers, and pedestrians injured in the State of New York due to a motor vehicle accident a minimum of fifty thousand dollars of insurance coverage. The coverage is triggered by being involved in a motor vehicle accident, regardless of who was at fault. Thus creating its name, “No-Fault” Coverage. No-fault coverage will pay for medical bills associated with treatment for the injuries you sustained due to the accident. It will reimburse your lost wages since your injuries prohibit you from working. It will also reimburse your out-of-pocket expenses. These include pharmacy bills, bills associated with transportation to medical appointments, and bills for medical equipment you may need.

Once I explain the concept of No-Fault Coverage to my clients, their immediate follow-up question is, “How do I apply?” To obtain the benefits of No-Fault Coverage, the injured person must file a No-Fault Application with the insurance company of the motor vehicle they were driving or were a passenger in within 30 days of the date of the accident. If the injured party is a pedestrian, they must file a No-Fault Application with the motor vehicle insurance company that hit them within thirty days of the accident.

Finding out who was at fault for the accident

If you were a passenger or a pedestrian injured in an accident and you do not know who the insurance company of the vehicle is, you can find that information in the Police Accident Report. The line on the NYC Police Accident Report that indicates the plate number, state of registration, vehicle year and make, and vehicle type also has a code that indicates the insurance company. In New York State, this is a three-digit code. The insurance company associated with the code can be found via the internet on the New York State Department of Financial Services website: https://www.dfs.ny.gov/consumers/auto_insurance/dmv_insurance_codes_and_contacts

Once you identify the insurance company of the necessary vehicle, you can call it to set up a claim. Then submit a completed No-Fault application to trigger the No-Fault coverage. The insurance company will provide you with a claim number to reference to access your claim and an address where you can send medical bills, proof of lost wages, and other out-of-pocket expenses.

If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, don’t hesitate to speak up at the accident scene and request medical attention. Know that you may be eligible for No-Fault benefits.

Call our Personal Injury Lawyers

In addition to no-fault benefits, you may be in a position to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you would like a cost-free evaluation of your right to bring a lawsuit, you can contact the car accident lawyers of Hach & Rose, LLP at (212) 779-0057 or via email at info@hachroselaw.com. Our skilled personal injury attorneys have earned the trust of countless New York injury victims by helping them get results. Our firm will thoroughly investigate your accident and determine whether you are entitled to compensation for your injuries.

Conversion Pixel