Hiring a lawyer after a car accident can be a smart decision if you suffered injuries and property damage. Securing legal representation isn’t a requirement but offers numerous advantages, as an experienced attorney can guide you through the complicated process of an injury claim. They can also accurately calculate your total losses and more effectively seek the compensation you deserve.
Handling a car accident case alone is never a good idea. By working with a lawyer, you improve your chance of a favorable financial recovery and legal outcome.
Hidden Complications of a Minor Car Crash
Many drivers wrongly assume they don’t need to bother calling law enforcement or exchanging insurance information after a seemingly minor accident. Some assess the damage and decide involving insurance isn’t worth the hassle, since their car has only minor dents or scratches. They drive away, assuming they don’t have injuries because they’re not in pain.
However, treating a fender bender as though it isn’t a big deal can lead to serious problems down the road. If you have to file a claim later after the delayed onset of symptoms or receive a car repair estimate much higher than you anticipated, recovering compensation will be more complicated.
By not consulting with an attorney after a seemingly minor crash, you might encounter complications you don’t know how to handle, such as:
- Severe injuries – It’s common for motorists to walk away from a minor accident thinking they were unhurt, because they don’t have visible injuries or noticeable symptoms. However, some injuries don’t manifest themselves immediately. They might not appear until days or weeks later. By the time you realize filing a claim is necessary, valuable evidence might have gone missing.
- Expensive repairs – Minor car wrecks can cause insignificant dents, small scratches, and other damage that doesn’t seem difficult to fix at first blush. However, underlying issues can turn a seemingly simple repair into an expensive job. The mechanic might uncover additional damage requiring more extensive work.
- Unexpected costs – You might need ongoing medical care to treat your injuries. What begins as minor aches and pains can turn out to be a sign of spinal cord damage, a concussion, or muscle strain. Your medical bills can pile up and create financial burdens.
Can You Sue for a Minor Car Accident?
You have a right to sue the other motorist if they caused you harm. In New York, you can only do so in most cases if you meet the requirements to step outside the state’s no-fault insurance system. Chief among them is to have suffered an injury deemed “serious” under the state’s definition.
The best choice you can make is to consult an attorney for guidance so you can make an informed decision about what to do next – and so you have an advocate in your corner if you need to pursue legal action.
How to Find a Good Car Accident Lawyer?
Asking those closest to you for recommendations is a great place to start your search for an attorney. If your family and friends don’t know of any good lawyers, do your research and schedule consultations with potential candidates.
Some essential attributes to consider when hiring a car accident lawyer include the following:
- Experience – The person you select should have adequate experience handling all types of car accident cases. They should know relevant state laws and the legal strategies that obtain favorable results.
- Good communication – You don’t want to hire someone you can never reach. You deserve to be kept in the loop and to have your questions answered promptly. Your lawyer should prioritize ongoing communication with their clients.
- A stellar reputation – During your research, read up on each lawyer’s reviews, client testimonials, and awards and recognition in the legal community. A reputable attorney builds and maintains a reputation for their strong work ethic, excellent case results, and dedication to their clients.
- Availability – Some lawyers work only during normal business hours. Getting in touch with them at night and on weekends might not be possible. Consider hiring someone with 24/7 availability if you want a lawyer you can reach no matter what.
- Compassion – Your attorney should aggressively advocate for your rights. However, they should also have compassion for what you’re going through. Even a minor car crash can be traumatic. Having someone by your side who cares about you and works hard to meet your needs is important.
Start Working on Your Case Today
Prompt medical attention is critical after a car accident. Once you have received it, consult an experienced lawyer with Hach & Rose, LLP. While a minor crash seems insignificant at first, it can quickly upend your life and create obstacles you can’t navigate alone. Call us today at (212) 779-0057 for your consultation with a New York car accident lawyer. We have over two decades of experience helping New Yorkers like you get the money they need after seemingly minor accidents.