A car accident can cause severe injuries. Treating those injuries can be expensive, leading to significant financial strain. Attending doctor’s appointments, paying medical bills, and handling an injury case is overwhelming. Hiring a car accident lawyer can relieve your burden. They can deal with the insurance company and other responsibilities so you can focus on your recovery.
How Your Car Accident Lawyer Can Help
Car accident lawyers want to recover adequate compensation for their clients. They are aggressive and unrelenting during negotiations with the insurance company. When you hire a lawyer to represent you, they will handle every aspect of the process, including:
- Giving advice – Your attorney will advise what to do during your pending case. They will ensure you understand how to handle each step of the process.
- Advising you of your rights – Your lawyer will explain and protect your rights until the end. They know the compensation you deserve and how the insurance company should handle your claim. If someone violates your rights, your lawyer will take the appropriate legal action.
- Calculating the value of your case – After a car accident, you incur various costs. While your medical bills are a significant portion of your losses, calculating other expenses is necessary. Your attorney will assess all economic and noneconomic losses related to your injury to pursue the maximum monetary award possible so you don’t have to pay for anything out of pocket.
- Negotiating a settlement – Insurance companies are intimidating. They use various tactics to get accident victims to admit fault or say something harmful to the case. Your attorney will communicate with the adjuster on your behalf. They know how to negotiate for a favorable settlement and won’t back down without a fight.
Do I Need a Lawyer for a Car Accident?
Yes. Without a lawyer, the insurance company can offer a lowball settlement that doesn’t compensate you for your losses. They might scare you into accepting the money on the table by suggesting there won’t be another offer. They’ll do what they can to avoid a higher payout.
You should never pursue a case without a skilled car accident attorney. They can help you navigate the complicated process and prevent you from making mistakes that negatively affect the outcome of your car accident case.
When to Call a Lawyer After a Car Accident
The first thing you should do after getting hurt in a car crash is seek treatment. Your next step should be to call an attorney. A lawyer can build a solid case against the negligent driver.
They will simplify your life by handling every part of your case. Seeking legal representation is beneficial even after a fender bender or minor injuries. Your attorney can start investigating immediately and preserve valuable evidence to show someone else is at fault.
You should consider hiring a car accident lawyer if:
- You have severe or debilitating injuries
- The other driver and their insurer accuse you of causing the accident
- You receive an expensive repair estimate for the damage to your vehicle
- Your physician diagnoses you with a permanent injury or disabling condition
- The investigating officer cites you for a traffic violation
- The insurance company denies your claim
- The crash involves multiple liable parties
How Much Do Car Accident Lawyers Charge?
Car accident lawyers often work on a contingency-fee-basis. That means their clients aren’t responsible for upfront fees or costs. These lawyers don’t recover their legal fees unless they secure compensation for their clients.
The outcome of your case will determine whether you owe your attorney money. If they reach a settlement agreement or achieve a favorable jury verdict, they will use a portion of the proceeds to cover the contingency fee.
The standard contingency fee is 33.3% for car accident cases. However, it can increase to 40% if your lawyer files a lawsuit. That’s because lawsuits are more expensive than injury claims. A higher percentage can cover court costs, filing fees, investigation expenses, and other case-related costs.
You should discuss the fee arrangement before hiring a lawyer. If they work on contingency, review the contract before signing. A true contingency fee means you don’t have to pay anything when you retain the lawyer’s services.
Obtain the Legal Representation You Deserve
Seeking compensation after a car accident is stressful. However, you don’t have to go through this alone. The New York City car accident attorneys of Hach & Rose, LLP have over 100 years of combined legal experience. We will protect your rights and fight for full and fair compensation.