What you need to know if you have been injured in a bus accident
If you’ve been injured in a bus accident in New York, know that you have rights and legal options. While it is natural to be shocked, disoriented, and confused about what to do after a serious bus crash (especially one that results in severe injuries), try to remain calm and follow these five steps to protect your health and the injury claim you might need to file:
- Call your doctor – Before you do anything else, prioritize your health and make an appointment with your doctor immediately after the accident. Common bus crash injuries are broken bones, spinal injuries, cuts and bruises, and traumatic brain injuries. Bus accidents are often more dangerous than car accidents because buses lack seat belts and some passengers are standing.
- Take pictures of the scene – Pictures of the crash and the surrounding scene are often vital to proving liability for any accident. Be sure to take pictures of your injuries, other vehicles or property damaged in the crash, and the full view of the bus’ position after the crash.
- Write down information – If the bus accident happens in a crowded place like New York City, try to get the names and contact information of as many witnesses as possible. They could help you prove your case in the future. Also, get the contact and insurance information of the bus driver and the drivers of other vehicles involved, if that applies.
- Call the police – The bus driver or their supervisor is required to call the police following an accident, but if it appears no one has done this yet, you can call the police. Be sure to file a report with an officer because this could be used as evidence later on.
- Contact a personal injury attorney – An experienced personal injury attorney could help you navigate the complicated process of filing a claim after a bus accident. Be sure to hire an attorney with the right experience and skill to handle your case.
Contact a New York Bus Accident Lawyer
The New York bus accident lawyers at Hach & Rose, LLP have extensive experience handling bus accident claims. Our track record of success includes $2.3 million for a client who was struck by a New York city bus.
If you or a loved one was involved in a bus accident, call Hach & Rose, LLP at (212) 779-0057 to schedule a consultation today.