Posted on Friday, December 13th, 2019 at 1:18 am
As the temperatures drop this holiday season, there is always a risk for a potential injury. Slip and falls are a common workplace injury, especially in the winter, when ice and snow coat the parking lots and pathways to your workplace. According to EHS Today, here are some ways to prevent a slip and fall injury:
- Keep all pathways clear of ice and snow, including the parking lot;
- Remove snow and ice immediately from busy sidewalks;
- Maintain precautions while you walk, including holding your hands out as you navigate through a wet or slippery area;
- Avoid carrying heavy equipment or loads that could impact your balance;
- Label any potential hazard areas with signs, cones, or barricades;
- Wear proper footwear with heavy treads;
- Navigate on grassy areas where you are less likely to slip;
- Wear bright colors or reflective gear when walking to notify drivers of your presence.
Update Safety Plans and Procedures
If employers are engaged and active in creating an open space for employees to speak their concerns, you are better equipped to form a proper safety plan. Employees are less likely to suffer injury if they are reminded of company safety procedures and encouraged to practice these procedures in the workplace. According to EHS Today, here are some ways for employers to maintain a safe environment to prevent workplace injury:
- Identify potential hazards in the workplace and research past incidents. Find ways to improve, so injuries don’t repeat every holiday season;
- Evaluate potential risks and how they may affect your employees;
- Find ways to resolve potential hazards such as moving dangerous environment factors or purchasing up-to-date equipment;
- Maintain records of your work environment, such as keeping a schedule of all product maintenance and cleaning procedures to ensure you can correct the safety mistakes made.
Contact a New York Workplace Injury Lawyer
If you were injured at work, seek medical attention immediately and contact an experienced workplace injury attorney at Hach & Rose, LLP. Schedule a confidential consultation with us by calling (212) 779-0057 or reaching out to us online.