School Bus Safety Week
Posted on Thursday, October 24th, 2019 at 1:24 pm
The National Association for Pupil Transportation has designated this week as National School Bus Safety Week. This public awareness campaign takes place every year in October and this year’s theme is “My School Bus, the Safest Form of Student Transportation.”
Although school buses are the safest form of student transportation, that doesn’t mean accidents don’t happen. According to a study conducted by the U.S. Department of Transportation, an annual average of 128 people were killed in accidents involving school buses from 2007 to 2016.
To help avoid the risks involved in contributing to these types of fatal bus accidents, here are some tips that parents can follow:
- Encourage your child to walk in groups, which are easier for bus drivers to identify
- Remind your child to practice good behavior while on the bus, as bus drivers may become distracted when students are unseated and not following directions
- Make sure that your child’s mobile devices (specifically, cell phones) are stowed away in bags or backpacks to help minimize distractions
- Ensure that your child arrives at the bus stop at least 5 minutes early
- Warn your child to never chase after or run in front of a missed bus, under any circumstances
Call A New York Bus Accident Attorney
While every motor-vehicle accident could potentially result in severe or fatal injuries, school bus accidents can be especially devastating because of who they involve. As a parent, you trust and depend on school buses to transport your child safely to and from school. When that trust is broken in the event of a tragic accident, knowing what to do, or who to turn to can feel overwhelming.
If you have lost a child or loved one to a serious school bus accident, we encourage you to contact our team of compassionate attorneys at Hach & Rose, LLP. We are committed to helping you navigate through this difficult time, and to guiding you through the steps needed in getting the compensation that you and your loved ones deserve.
Schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our understanding product defect lawyers at Hach & Rose, LLP to discuss your rights and legal options. We’re here to support you, so call us at (212) 779-0057 or reach out to us online.