tag tag

Over $500 Million Recovered

Free Confidential Case Review, No Fees Unless We Recover For You

(212) 779-0057
Risks, Rewards, and Pitfalls of Putting Your Case Before a Jury

If you've been injured in an accident or on the job, the attorneys of Hach & Rose, LLP have the knowledge, skills, and experience required to hold the party responsible for your injury accountable.

Last Updated: 02-08-2022
Last Updated: 02-08-2022
Written by: Michael A. Rose and Gregory Hach

Risks, Rewards, and Pitfalls of Putting Your Case Before a Jury

Posted on Friday, July 7th, 2017 at 2:36 pm    

By: Michael Rose

There are risks, rewards, and pitfalls when deciding whether a case should be tried in front of a jury or settled. Risks are found in the unpredictability of a jury. Rewards can include a jury verdict that exceeds the settlement offer. Pitfalls can include lawyers and clients losing objectivity with their case and becoming blind to faults. It’s for these reasons that an objective evaluation of the full case is vital before making a decision to take the case before a jury.

As an example, if a settlement offer is $900,000 and the full value of the case is $1 million, then is the extra $100,000 worth the risk of a jury? Is that amount of money still valuable to the client when post-trial motions and appeals can take approximately two years in some jurisdictions?

If we flip the story so that a $1 million case has a $100,000 settlement offer, then it might begin to make more sense to allow a jury to decide. It all boils down to how strong the case is and the risk tolerance of the client. If you believe the chances of winning the case and receiving the full $1 million are over 90%, then this is a good risk for a client. If the chances of winning the same case are 10% or under, then it’s a very different story. Next, and you must ask this regardless of the chances of winning, would a $100,000 settlement help the client? Or would the unfavorable chances at a positive jury verdict be in the best interest of the client?

In short, each situation is different. A jury can be difficult to predict, but a well-educated attorney and client are far more likely to reach a positive outcome.

Michael Rose is the senior partner and lead trial attorney at the law firm of Hach & Rose, LLP. He and his team have the experience necessary to make a decision about the risks and rewards of presenting a case before a jury. If you’re unhappy with a settlement offered to you or are seeking a knowledgeable attorney for your personal injury, construction accident, or wrongful death case, contact one of the attorneys of Hach & Rose, LLP at (212) 779-0057.

Our Office:

Hach & Rose, LLP, 112 Madison Ave,

10th Floor, New York, NY 10016

Conversion Pixel