Truck Accidents Caused by Defects or Malfunctions
Large commercial vehicles are essential for transporting goods across the United States. Yet the size and weight of these trucks can pose a serious risk to other road users even when they are in full working order. When mechanical defects or malfunctions occur, the potential for devastating or fatal injuries increases exponentially.
If you have suffered injuries or if a loved one has lost their life in a truck accident due to defects or malfunctions, you deserve compensation for your losses. The experienced New York truck accident attorneys of Hach & Rose, LLP understand how challenging life can be after a truck accident. We will work to hold the at-fault party accountable for the negligence that turned your life upside-down. Call us today at (212) 779-0057 or contact us online for a free consultation to learn more about how we can help you.
Why You Need a New York Truck Accident Attorney
While truck defects and malfunctions can have devastating consequences, they can be difficult to prove. Many people throughout the chain of manufacture and commerce can potentially be liable for the broken component. Determining who is at fault requires investigating manufacturers, suppliers, mechanics, truckers, and the companies themselves. Successful investigations require a thorough understanding of safety standards across the trucking industry. These complicated cases call for experienced truck accident attorneys.
Why Choose Hach & Rose, LLP?
The attorneys at Hach & Rose, LLP have the knowledge, skills, and resources to investigate the causes of the accident, negotiate your settlement, and file a lawsuit if necessary. We know what it takes to build a strong claim and hold the responsible party or parties to account for the harm their negligence has caused. While we work to recover the compensation you deserve, you can focus on your recovery.
Our attorneys understand that each case is different, and we will give you the individual attention and compassion you deserve. Whether you suffered injuries in a truck accident earlier today or several months ago, our lawyers are ready to take the steps necessary to fight for your rights.
Types of Commercial Truck Defects and Malfunctions
Commercial trucks are massive vehicles. Any defective component can create devastation on the roads of New York. Common mechanical defects and malfunctions include:
- Brake malfunction – A fully functioning brake system is vital to the safety of any road vehicle. While commercial trucks have complex and powerful braking systems, dangerous accidents can occur when these brakes malfunction. Runaway trucks can cause untold damage, severe injuries, and psychological trauma.
- Insufficient Underride Protection – Because the average car’s bumper is around 15 inches lower than the tail end of a commercial truck, cars can easily get stuck under trailers in some types of collisions. For this reason, trucks are required to have underride guards. However, if this guard is defective or insufficient, underride accidents can lead to life-changing injuries.
- Tire Defects – Truck drivers, trucking companies, and tire manufacturers bear responsibility for ensuring that tires are free from defects or potential malfunctions. If the tires are over-filled, under-filled, too old, or have the potential to lose tread too easily, blowouts can lead to dangerous accidents.
- Trailer Malfunctions – The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulates safety standards for all aspects of commercial trucks, including trailers and their cargo. Manufacturers and trucking companies must ensure the proper functioning of the hitches that keep cargo securely in place. Furthermore, brake lights and hazard lights must be fully functional. If an accident occurs due to faults in any of these elements, other road users can suffer grave injuries.
Accidents and Injuries Due to Truck Defects or Malfunctions
Defects or malfunctions in truck components can lead to accidents such as:
- Head-on collisions
- Rear-end collisions
- Override and underride accidents
- Sideswipe accidents
- T-bone collisions
- Jackknife accidents
Due to the sheer size and mass of these vehicles, accidents involving trucks can cause serious property damage and life-changing injuries to individuals. These injuries may include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Organ damage and internal bleeding
- Broken or fractured bones
- Limb amputation
- Cuts, scrapes, and scarring
Who Can Be Held Liable for Defects or Malfunctions in New York?
Truck defects or malfunctions can come about due to the negligence of multiple parties. These include:
- The manufacturer of the commercial truck
- The manufacture of the individual defective or malfunctioning component
- The vendor or supplier of the part
- The trucking company that failed to maintain the truck properly
- The driver who failed to inspect the truck properly
Filing a claim against multiple parties can present challenges. However, doing so can help you recover the compensation you deserve if one party’s insurance policy will not cover the full extent of your losses. An experienced New York truck accident attorney will be equipped to help you handle a claim against multiple defendants.
Compensation for Injuries from Truck Defect or Malfunction Accidents in New York
A New York truck accident attorney can help you recover compensation for losses such as:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Lost wages due to missed time at work
- Lost future earnings if your injuries prevent you from returning to work
- Physical and psychological therapy expenses
- Property damage
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Disfigurement and disability
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death if you lost a loved one in a truck accident
Contact an Experienced New York Truck Accident Attorney
If you have suffered injuries in a truck accident due to vehicle defects or malfunctions, you may feel overwhelmed at the prospect of having to prove your case. The trucking company or their insurer might try to blame you for the accident rather than accept the fact that they behaved negligently. An experienced New York truck accident lawyer will craft a strong case on your behalf so that the other side cannot devalue your claim.
The knowledgeable and skilled New York truck accident attorneys of Hach & Rose, LLP are committed to protecting the rights of injured New Yorkers. Our legal team will use all our resources to fight for the compensation you deserve. Call us today at (212) 779-0057 or contact us online for a free consultation to learn more about your legal options.