What to Expect When Filing a Civil Claim
Filing a personal injury claim is not something that many people know about or have experience with. It isn’t something a majority of people have to face. However, for those that do, having a better understanding of the process and knowing what to expect when they file a claim can be extremely helpful. Having an experienced attorney by your side is important when filing a civil claim. They will work to ensure you receive all of the compensation you deserve.
If you’ve sustained an injury because of someone else’s negligence or recklessness, we may be able to assist you through the process of filing a claim and arguing for compensation. For additional information regarding your rights and options after an injury, contact a New York City personal injury lawyer of Hach & Rose, LLP today by calling (212) 779-0057.
The Procedure for Filing a Claim
Although the specific timeline of a personal injury claim may differ depending on the case’s circumstances, these lawsuits typically follow a predictable procedure. The following steps are generally how lawsuits unfold:
- After an injury, a claimant informs a defendant of their intent to sue
- If initial negotiations don’t result in a favorable settlement, a claimant may officially sue
- Case-related paperwork is shared between the parties involved
- Depositions are taken for those involved in the case
- The defense has the option to request a third-party medical exam of the claimant
- If no settlement is reached at this point, the case will go to trial
Cases in trial may still end early through out-of-court settlements. If a case goes through a court judgment, whatever decision the court reaches will be the final decision regarding compensation. The statute of limitations varies according to the case type being pursued.
An injury caused by another person’s mistakes may leave you with unaffordable medical expenses and a serious lack of income during recovery. Compensation may be available to alleviate these burdens, though. To learn more about how we can help you pursue a claim, contact the attorneys of Hach & Rose, LLP, at (212) 779-0057 today.