What to Expect When Filing a Civil Claim
Filing a personal injury claim is not something that many people know about or have experience with as it isn’t something a majority of people have to face. However, for those that do, having a better understanding of the process and knowing what to expect when they file a claim can be extremely helpful.
If you’ve sustained an injury because of someone else’s negligence or recklessness, we may be able to assist you through the process of filing a claim and arguing for compensation. For additional information regarding the rights and options you have after an injury, contact a New York City personal injury lawyer of Hach & Rose, LLP, today by calling (212) 779-0057.
The Procedure of Filing a Claim
Although the specific timeline of a personal injury claim may differ depending on the circumstances surrounding the case, these lawsuits do typically follow a predictable procedure. The following steps are generally how lawsuits unfold:
- After an injury, a claimant informs a defendant of their intent to sue
- If initial negotiations don’t result in a favorable settlement, a claimant may officially sue
- Case-related paperwork is shared between the parties involved
- Depositions are taken for those involved in the case
- The defense has the option to request a third-party medical exam of the claimant
- If no settlement is reached at this point, the case will go to trial
Cases in trial may still end early through out-of-court settlements. If a case goes through court judgment, whatever decision the court reaches will be the final decision in terms of compensation.
An injury caused by another person’s mistakes may leave you with unaffordable medical expenses and a serious lack of income during recovery. Compensation may be available to alleviate these burdens, though. To learn more about how we may be able to help you pursue a claim, contact a New York City personal injury attorney of Hach & Rose, LLP, at (212) 779-0057 today.