Text Us

Limitations in Claims against the Government

When a person is injured because of a government employee’s negligent conduct, that individual may be entitled to file a lawsuit against the responsible government agency for compensation. These claims go through a different system than claims made against private citizens however, as the government requires a special claims assessment process. In making these sort of claims, there are some instances in which an injured individual may not be able to sue at all, their claim being blocked by the government’s allowance on personal injury lawsuits.

If you or someone you love has sustained an injury that was caused by a government worker’s careless mistakes, compensation for the financial burdens associated with those injuries may be available through legal action. For a free consultation with an experienced attorney who knows how to handle such claims, contact a New York City personal injury lawyer of Hach & Rose, LLP, today at (212) 779-0057.

When Are Claims Rejected by the Government?

The government has the right to refuse certain claims, as defined in the Federal Tort Claims Act. As such, the government cannot be sued in the following situations:

  • Many claims of intentional misconduct, which may require another form of legal action
  • Negligence that exceeds the employee’s scope of governmental duties
  • Most claims brought against independent contractors instead of government employees
  • Claims brought against the U.S. military by a service member

In some cases, these claims may be resolved through lawsuits against a party other than the government. For instance, claims brought against independent contractors are allowed, but should be filed against the contractors rather than the government agency that hired them.

Contact Us

An injury caused by a government employee’s negligent actions may leave you or someone you love in need of financial help due to overwhelming medical and injury-related expenses. Compensation may be available for these injuries, however. For more information about how we may be able to help you through the process of filing a lawsuit against the responsible government agency, contact the New York City personal injury attorneys of Hach & Rose, LLP, by calling (212) 779-0057 today.

SEO for Lawyers