Yonkers, NY (April 19, 2019) – A total of eleven people, including children, were hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning after a leak broke out at a two-family home on Friday morning, April 19th. The incident occurred inside the two-story home in the area of Coyle Place and McLean Avenue at approximately 8:30 a.m. when responders were dispatched to the scene due to reports of unconscious people inside the house.
Henrietta, NY (March 12, 2019) – Fire officials have now released the names of three of the five workers who were hurt during a chemical spill that took place on Monday, March 11th. According to authorities, 31-year-old Andrew Cobin and 19-year-old Steve Fousse are currently in guarded condition at Strong Memorial Hospital, and 45-year-old Matthew Roberts has since been discharged.
Henrietta, NY (March 11, 2019) – Two people were critically injured among a total of five people who were hurt following a chemical spill that occurred on Monday morning, March 11th. The incident reported as a Level 1 hazmat situation, was stated to have occurred around 9:30 a.m. at a building located on Jefferson Road, in the vicinity of North Winton Road.
Airmont, NY (March 5, 2019) – Firefighters accompanied police to a home on Bolger Lane in response to a call concerning a woman and her two daughters who were stated to be unconscious due to an exposure to a toxic substance. The incident was reported to have happened around 11:00 a.m. on Tuesday, March 5th.
Weeksville, Brooklyn, NY (February 25, 2019) – On Sunday morning, February 24, NYPD, FDNY, and EMS were called to the scene of a carbon monoxide leak that left several people injured. Original reports stated that six people were hospitalized, one critically; however, new information has changed that number to eleven people injured and three critically.
Weeksville, Brooklyn, NY (February 24, 2019) – An incident involving a carbon monoxide leak at a building in Brooklyn sent six people to the hospital on Sunday morning, February 24, according to authorities. The seriously injurious incident took place at a three-story residence located on Lincoln Place in the Weeksville section of Brooklyn at around 7:45 a.m.
West Hills, NY (February 21, 2019) – One man was reported to have died as one woman was hospitalized following a carbon monoxide leak that occurred on Thursday morning, February 21. According to police, authorities arrived at the scene on Scott Drive at approximately 8:30 a.m.
Auburn, NY (November 9, 2018) – A mishap concerning hazardous and toxic materials took place Friday morning, November 9, and resulted in the closure of a city block in Auburn. The accident was reported to have occurred at a building located at 54 Orchard Street between Baker Street and Jefferson Street.
Staten Island, NY (October 30, 2018) – According to the FDNY, an incident at the Oakwood Beach Wastewater Treatment Plant resulted in multiple minor injuries on Tuesday afternoon, October 30. The hazmat incident was reported to have taken place at around 2:00 p.m. as emergency crews arrived on the scene approximately ten minutes later.
Recently, Brooklyn’s John Ericsson Middle School 126 has finally been cleared of its Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) contaminated soil.
The middle school’s perimeter had tested positive for the presence of PCBs back in 2011. It was suspected that buildings that experienced construction work between 1950-1977 could have been exposed to the toxic substance due to the caulk used during that time. John Ericsson Middle School was found to have more than the acceptable limit of PCBs in 4306 square feet surrounding the building along its perimeter. The removal project costing $520,000 took nearly a month to complete as approximately 320 cubic yards of soil was removed from the premise.
PCBs are a known carcinogen that has been linked to causing cancer in many citizens across the nation. Despite this, New York City Department of Education claim that there should be no health concerns involving the contaminant. Toxic substances can be located in even the most unsuspecting places. They often lack a distinct scent or any other outward indication of its presence. If you or someone you love has been exposed to toxic substances, contact Hach & Rose, LLP today at (212) 779-0057 to learn more about your legal options.