If you’ve been injured in a bus accident in New York, know that you have rights and legal options. While it is natural to be shocked, disoriented, and confused about what to do after a serious bus crash (especially one that results in severe injuries), try to remain calm and follow these five steps to protect your health and the injury claim you might need to file:
- Call your doctor – Before you do anything else, prioritize your health and make an appointment with your doctor immediately after the accident. Common bus crash injuries are broken bones, spinal injuries, cuts and bruises, and traumatic brain injuries. Bus accidents are often more dangerous than car accidents because buses lack seat belts and some passengers are standing.
- Take pictures of the scene – Pictures of the crash and the surrounding scene are often vital to proving liability for any accident. Be sure to take pictures of your injuries, other vehicles or property damaged in the crash, and the full view of the bus’ position after the crash.
- Write down information – If the bus accident happens in a crowded place like New York City, try to get the names and contact information of as many witnesses as possible. They could help you prove your case in the future. Also, get the contact and insurance information of the bus driver and the drivers of other vehicles involved, if that applies.
- Call the police – The bus driver or their supervisor is required to call the police following an accident, but if it appears no one has done this yet, you can call the police. Be sure to file a report with an officer because this could be used as evidence later on.
- Contact a personal injury attorney – An experienced personal injury attorney could help you navigate the complicated process of filing a claim after a bus accident. Be sure to hire an attorney with the right experience and skill to handle your case.
Contact a New York Bus Accident Lawyer
The New York bus accident lawyers at Hach & Rose, LLP have extensive experience handling bus accident claims. Our track record of success includes $2.3 million for a client who was struck by a New York city bus.
If you or a loved one was involved in a bus accident, call Hach & Rose, LLP at (212) 779-0057 to schedule a consultation today.
National School Bus Safety Week Highlights Student Transportation Safety
The National Association for Pupil Transportation has designated this week as National School Bus Safety Week. This public awareness campaign takes place every year in October and this year’s theme is “My School Bus, the Safest Form of Student Transportation.”
Although school buses are the safest form of student transportation, that doesn’t mean accidents don’t happen. According to a study conducted by the U.S. Department of Transportation, an annual average of 128 people were killed in accidents involving school buses from 2007 to 2016.
To help avoid the risks involved in contributing to these types of fatal bus accidents, here are some tips that parents can follow:
- Encourage your child to walk in groups, which are easier for bus drivers to identify
- Remind your child to practice good behavior while on the bus, as bus drivers may become distracted when students are unseated and not following directions
- Make sure that your child’s mobile devices (specifically, cell phones) are stowed away in bags or backpacks to help minimize distractions
- Ensure that your child arrives at the bus stop at least 5 minutes early
- Warn your child to never chase after or run in front of a missed bus, under any circumstances
Call A New York Bus Accident Attorney
While every motor-vehicle accident could potentially result in severe or fatal injuries, school bus accidents can be especially devastating because of who they involve. As a parent, you trust and depend on school buses to transport your child safely to and from school. When that trust is broken in the event of a tragic accident, knowing what to do, or who to turn to can feel overwhelming.
If you have lost a child or loved one to a serious school bus accident, we encourage you to contact our team of compassionate attorneys at Hach & Rose, LLP. We are committed to helping you navigate through this difficult time, and to guiding you through the steps needed in getting the compensation that you and your loved ones deserve.
Schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our understanding product defect lawyers at Hach & Rose, LLP to discuss your rights and legal options. We’re here to support you, so call us at (212) 779-0057 or reach out to us online.
Mount Pleasant, NY (June 22, 2019) – In the afternoon hours on Tuesday of this past week, a bus accident took place on Route 141 that led to injuries in multiple parties. (more…)
Eltingville, Staten Island, NY (June 21, 2019) – Early on Friday morning, June 21st, a motorist was critically injured after collided head-on with a bus in Eltingville. The crash was reported to have taken place around 6:15 a.m. along Richmond Avenue.
Hawthorne, NY (June 19, 2019) – Two teenagers suffered serious injuries following a head-on crash that took place at 1:14 p.m. on Tuesday, June 18th, according to police. The collision happened along Route 141, in the vicinity of Brighton Avenue, for reasons that are being investigated at this time.
Sennett, NY (June 11, 2019) – Thankfully, no students were on board when the driver of a Skaneateles Central School District school bus crashed along Route 20 on Tuesday afternoon, June 11th. The incident was reported to have happened shortly after 12:00 p.m. just east of Auburn.
Todt Hill, NY (June 7, 2019) – A school bus was involved in a motor vehicle accident on Friday morning, June 7, at approximately 9:39 a.m., according to police in Staten Island. Officials stated that the incident occurred in the vicinity of Todt Hill Road and Ocean Terrace in Todt Hill for reasons that are under investigation at this time.
Mahopac, NY (May 18, 2019) – Around 2:30 p.m. on Friday, May 17, police responded to the scene of a school bus crash on Baldwin Place Road that hospitalized four people. (more…)
Midland Beach, NY (May 16, 2019) – At approximately 7:08 a.m. on Thursday, May 16th, a female pedestrian was reported to have suffered at least minor injuries after a collision with an MTA bus. The incident took place along Midland Avenue near Baden Place, according to authorities.
Chazy Lake, NY (May 12, 2019) – On Friday, a bus driver attempted to avoid a bus accident with a pickup truck that crossed over the line on State Route 374 but was not able to. (more…)
2 3 6 Next »