Identifying signs of sexual abuse in children and getting help
It can be difficult to determine whether your child has been sexually abused, but there are warning signs to watch for if you suspect that they are being harmed, according to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN). It is imperative to recognize these signs and get professional assistance as soon as possible if your child shows signs of being sexually abused.
- Sexually transmitted infections, or STIs
- Injuries to the pubic region, such as unexplained bleeding or bruising
Emotional and behavioral signs
- Bedwetting if the child is known to have already outgrown this habit
- Resists being left alone or with certain people
- Sexual behavior that is unusual for their age or personality
- Talking excessively about sexual topics
- Reverting back to habits they outgrew, such as sucking their thumb
- Constant nightmares and being afraid to be left alone at night
It should be noted that if only one of these signs is apparent in your child, that does not necessarily mean that they have been sexually abused. However, if you notice a number of these signs, it might be useful to reach out to a professional who can help you determine their cause. Call the police if the child tells you what happened so the proper authorities can start conducting a criminal investigation.
What to expect from a personal injury attorney
If you choose to file a personal injury claim for damages caused by sexual abuse, you can expect to win compensation for your child’s suffering, including:
- Medical bills
- Emotional pain and suffering
- The cost of therapy
- Diminished quality of life
- Damages for emotional distress, such as PTSD
If you need immediate help, call the National Sexual Abuse Hotline at 1-800-656-4673 to speak with someone confidentially.
If you believe your child has been the victim of sexual abuse, particularly if it happened while at a church, school, or organization, please know that you are not alone in this. Consider reaching out to the experienced New York sex abuse attorneys at Hach & Rose, LLP. Our attorneys are compassionate, caring, and attentive. We will fight to win you the compensation you deserve for counseling, medical bills, pain and suffering, and more. Our number is (212) 779-0057, or you can always reach us online.