NTSB says gas line with poor welding caused New York explosion
The National Transportation Safety Board recently stated that the cause of a fatal natural gas explosion last year in New York was due to a poorly welded gas line, USA Today reported on June 9.
The accident, which occurred on March 12 of last year, resulted in the deaths of eight people and injuries of 50 others. A sewer leak apparently undermined the gas line, 60% of which was found to not be properly welded. The solvent used to clean the area was alcohol, which is not the most effective substance.
The contractor in charge of the welding, a worker with Consolidated Edison, had credentials that expired a month before working on the project in December 2011.
Another issue that contributed to the explosion was lack of response time. According to reports, people smelled gas the night before the explosion but did not report it in time.
Our attorneys at Hach & Rose, LLP, in New York serve clients who have been injured due to the negligence of another person or party. Call us at (212) 779-0057 today to discuss your case.