Text Us

What You Should Know before Filing against the Government

If a government worker or agency is responsible for a person’s injury, that injured individual may be entitled to file a compensation claim against the government. Although there are some major exceptions to this rule, the government allows many types of injury claims against its own agencies. However, there are some differences in how these lawsuits may proceed when compared to other injury claims, and anyone considering legal action against the federal government should know these differences before taking action.

If you’re thinking about suing the government after an injury caused by a government agency or worker’s negligence, you should first consult with a legal advisor regarding the process involved and how to prepare your claim. For more information about how our qualified attorneys help you pursue compensation, contact a New York City injury lawyer of the Hach & Rose, LLP, at (212) 779-0057.

How Federal Tort Claims Work

The process for filing injury lawsuits against the government is set by a law known as the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA). This law establishes the following rules for permitted injury claims against the government:

  • Any claims against the federal government must be filed within two years of the injury
  • The claim should include any detailed information available on the injury or incident
  • The claim should also include a full account of injury expenses the claimant is suing for
  • Before the claim reaches court, the government will review the claim
  • If the claim is disputed by the government, the claimant can then pursue a suit in court within six months of the claim rejection

This process may include more steps than the average personal injury lawsuit, making it more complicated for a claimant to handle. However, an experienced legal professional can help a claimant through their lawsuit, providing much-needed advice and representation.

Contact Us

An injury caused by a government worker or agency’s negligence may leave you with significant financial problems from medical bills and other injury-related costs. Compensation may be available through legal action, but it’s important for you to know how this process works before you file. To learn more about compensation lawsuits against the government and how we may be able to help you in yours, contact the New York City injury attorney of the Hach & Rose, LLP, by calling (212) 779-0057 today.

SEO for Lawyers