West Hills, NY (February 21, 2019) – One man was reported to have died as one woman was hospitalized following a carbon monoxide leak that occurred on Thursday morning, February 21. According to police, authorities arrived at the scene on Scott Drive at approximately 8:30 a.m.
According to authorities, a woman who lives at the residence had called her daughter, complaining about throwing up, which prompted her to visit the home. The daughter arrived to find her step-father unconscious and immediately called 911.
The step-father, identified as 55-year-old Stephen Yancofski, was tragically killed in the incident, while the mother, Kyriaki Bouziotas, 59, was found to be extremely ill and taken to the hospital. Her condition has not been released at this time.
The incident is currently under investigation, as a detached fitting on a heating exhaust vent is believed to have been the possible source of the leak.
Carbon monoxide poising is a terribly serious issue that often goes overlooked by many Americans, and our deepest condolences are currently extended to the loved ones of Stephen Yancofski during this tragic time. We would also like to offer our sincere sympathies to Kyriaki Bouziotas, as we hope for her full recovery. In the event that an incident such as this one is the fault of exposure to toxic substances in New York or any other circumstances out of the victims’ control, a lawsuit may be to follow.
At Hach & Rose, we understand that there is nothing as devastating as the loss of a loved one, especially while suffering from a sudden injury. Our compassionate New York accident attorneys are here to fight for the compensation you deserve and to answer any questions you may have at this time. If you have lost a loved one or suffered injuries due to a toxic substance, defective product, malfunctioning equipment, or any other reason due to another party or entity, please call 212-779-0057 today.
Note: Secondary sources were used to create this piece and, because of this, the information included has not been independently verified. If you notice a factual issue with our posting, please bring it to our attention and we will correct or remove it as soon as possible.
Disclaimer: Our intent in these posts it to bring attention to the dangers members in our community face and to encourage caution. Accidents do happen and we hope these posts help those affected. However, this information should not be misconstrued as legal or medical advice, and we urge you to contact a trained legal professional for more information regarding your specific situation.
Hach & Rose, LLP, 112 Madison Ave,
10th Floor, New York, NY 10016